Living A Life of Service

A little over a year ago, I wrote a post that talked about service. I talked about how serving others is something we should certainly live by, and I'm excited to tell you that God has been showing me so much since that post. He has opened doors to things I would have never expected to be a part of, and He has placed me in positions that I never thought I'd be placed in. What an amazing God we serve. He has given me strength while enduring on the most physically exhausting adventure of my life (attending college while playing a Division 1 sport), and He has been so faithful.. even while I haven't been faithful to him. There are mornings where I wake up and dread the day to come, I used to go days without smiling because I told myself that I was too tired to do it, I'd go days without even talking to my heavenly Father, yet He never gave up on me. He never, for even a second, decided that I wasn't worth it. Because on the cross, He showed me just how special I am to him. So while I was worrying about my own struggles, I wasn't paying attention to other people's. And this week, Jesus has been showing me just how selfish I've been and just how faithful he is.
About a year ago I felt the Lord calling me to missions. He showed me that's where my heart is, missions on a global scale, and so many opportunities have been given to me since I listened to his call for me. And I am forever grateful, but lately I have been so focused on myself that I've forgotten a very important part of his calling for me (if you're a Christian he's calling you to this too). He calls us to serve others, and to focus on him. We are to fix our eyes on Jesus, and helping others will come naturally because after all, Jesus was the greatest servant to ever live. Our culture thrives on being selfish. We can't make it to the top without being selfish, that's what we're taught right? We can't become the best without being selfish, we can't succeed unless we're selfish. This is precisely what our culture is cramming into our minds, and we are believing it. We believe that if we aren't the best, then we're the worst and we aren't loved. Or if we aren't the best then there's no hope, so we have to shoot to be number 1 in all we do because no one can be better, if someone is better than me then no one will like me. We are taught that no one likes last place. But last time I checked, people thought Jesus was the worst. They thought he was last, he certainly wasn't number 1, and he definitely wasn't the most loved. A lot of times we forget that we're just dust. God breathed life into dust and made man, yet we truly believe that we are better than anyone standing next to us.
Philippians 2:5-7 says:

Have the mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant.

Jesus was in the form of God, yet his life was service. So today, I'm taking the challenge. Although it seems simple to just serve, it can truly get tiring, and that's where fixing our eyes on Jesus is so important. Let's change the way we live by taking our focus off of ourselves and putting it on others around us. Because after all, we're a part of something so much bigger than ourselves. Let's not forget that we're made from dust. Let's not forget that we don't have to conform to the society that says we have to be better than the person next to us. Instead let's serve the person next to us. We serve the most amazing God there is, so let's do just that. Serve Him by serving others.

Comments

Popular Posts