God: The Shatterer of Expectations

Since returning home from Tanzania, Africa, I have had much time to think about my experiences. I still may not be able to fully describe them and explain them, but I sure have thought about them. There is so much hurt in Tanzania. I looked at the streets and saw people who went through the motions every day, I saw people who were sad or angry, and I saw people who didn't know what to do next. But when I look at the streets here, in America, I could say the same exact thing. There is hurt, pain, sadness, and longing for something just a little bit more. I say all of this about Tanzania not to paint a picture in your mind of constant suffering and need (because believe me when I say that Tanzania is way more than any of that), but I tell you this to remind you that Africa and America are a lot more similar than we think.

A man in Tanzania once told me, "When you return to your home and tell people about this country, talk about the good things you saw and leave the bad things here."

What an amazing thing to tell someone who is about to go back to America, and it certainly made me think a lot on our nearly 2-day trip home. I intend to listen to what this man told me, but I also intend to keep things real. And I mean no disrespect by saying that, I just mean that I will be real by telling you that yes, there are broken people in Tanzania. There are many broken things there, but I can also tell you that never in my life have I felt so at home. I flew halfway around the world and stayed at a hostel I had never been to, and met people I have never seen, and I can tell you will full confidence that I felt so loved and welcomed the whole time I was there.

It's funny to me how people go on "mission trips" and expect to only help people. And there are certainly times when someone's help may be needed in a certain country and the best thing to do is obviously provide help. But then I visited Tanzania. I realized, and I mean truly, deeply realized, that these people aren't seeking for help from me. They don't look at me and expect me to make some troubles go away. But instead, they love me. They show me that they are my long lost brothers and sisters in Christ and I was finally able to come visit after 18 years.

You see, God does that a lot (and by a lot I mean always). He makes everything better. I left America expecting to experience Africa, love the people, and maybe make some really cool friends. But instead I experienced Africa, felt so loved, and became part of a family.

So wherever life is taking you next, whether it's college, a mission trip, a new job, or another year of school, expect things to not go your way all of the time. And realize that it's best this way. God has many things in store for each of us, and I know from experience that it's better than what we originally expect to happen.

Comments

Popular Posts