Waiting time: 0 minutes

Waiting is human nature. We wait in lines, we wait for food, and we wait for the weekend. What if we stopped waiting and started making things happen? What if instead of waiting until Sunday morning to worship, we worshiped now. What if instead of waiting on the world to change, we changed the world now? We don't have to be a generation that waits for things to happen. And saying this makes me sound like I'm a pro at "not waiting" but that's not true. Recently I was riding in the car with my family and we were stopped at a red light. I saw a man outside sitting on the median of the road with shorts, a short sleeve shirt, and a cane. Did I mention that it was POURING outside? So there I was sitting in my dry car with a raincoat, dry socks, dry shoes, dry everything.. And I didn't do anything to help the man. Of course I thought about doing something, but I didn't actually go outside and give him my raincoat. Now I don't know if any of you have been in relatable situations, but later that day I was so mad at myself. How could I have been so selfish? I may have been wearing my favorite raincoat, but I probably have two or three more. And of course writing this blog doesn't make me feel any better about not helping that man, but I pray that God can speak to at least one person while they read this.
I would be willing to bet that most people have had the thought of helping someone. The thought of taking off your shoes and giving them to the girl without anything on her feet, or taking your jacket off when it's raining or freezing and giving it to a man who is shivering, or even just giving your hat to the women who doesn't have any shelter when it's scorching hot outside. I've had these thoughts many times, but it doesn't mean anything if they're just thoughts. I need to stop thinking and start doing, we need to stop waiting on the "right moment" and just go with the feelings God gives us. 

James 2:14-17 says:

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." 

Faith without works is dead. This means that we can have so much faith, but without doing something about whatever we pray for or want to make happen... It's worth nothing. This verse literally tells us to make things happen. So today, and forever, I want to challenge you to not just go through your regular day everyday. Step outside of your comfort zone and do things that society thinks is weird because in all honestly, weird is what Christians should live for. Jesus never did anything the way the Pharasees did it, so let's be different. Jesus was. Make things happen and change the world because the world is upside-down, but there's no up-side to going down. 

Comments

Popular Posts