Goodbye Comfort

Lately I've been reading a book called Kisses From Katie and I am so happy my friend suggested it to me. This book is about a girl who goes on a year-long mission trip to Uganda and ends up moving there and adopting fourteen children. Her story is so amazing to me... when it shouldn't be. Let me explain. I was reading a page in the book and she said that many of her friends and family say that she is a hero and that what she is doing in Uganda is so great. The author, Katie, then went on to say that she isn't a superhero for doing what she's done. She is a child following what her Heavenly Father has commanded her to do. And I have been thinking about what she said for quite some time. We aren't put on this earth to live comfortable and easy lives. As Katie said in her book, "Jesus called His followers to be a lot of things, but I have yet to find where He wanted us to be safe. We are not called to be safe, we are simply promised that when we are in danger, God is right there with us." We are not called to be safe. We are not called to be comfortable. We are called to be bold. We shouldn't come home to our comfortable beds and plethora of food and be comfortable with that when millions upon millions of children in other countries are dying from starvation, preventable diseases, and don't even have a clean place to sleep. Why are we okay with all of this? I sometimes feel like I live in a bubble. A bubble of just me, myself, and I. I'll go about my every day life, day after day, and the idea of children literally starving to death doesn't even cross my mind. I'm more than guilty of living this way. This blog is meant to open the eyes of people who have those days where these issues don't cross their minds either. But we're called to be bold, right? Well then let's start now! I'd like to share another quote from Kisses From Katie that I hope will help you put all of this into perspective, "The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians." I want to make things clear before I go on. I am NOWHERE near perfect in any way, shape, or form. So what I am about to say, I am just as guilty of it as anyone else. After I read that quote I had to stop and let it all in. This can't surely be the case, can it? There are so many Christians who are all commanded to go out into the world and spread the word of God and help the poor, so why are there still children dying from things we can prevent? Because we have become comfortable. 2.1 billion people proclaim to be Christians... 2.1 BILLION people. Why are we saying we are Christians when we are just going on with our daily lives like there is nothing going on in the world that is so much bigger than us? Let's start living radical lives for the Lord, which means listening to his command for us. Together we can all start a revival and truly change the world!

Comments

Popular Posts